I designed a walnut base to hold the first river table I made. Designed in Fusion360.
Milled the rest of the bottom this morning. The first section kind of messed up as it cut deeper on one side than the other. I’m still trying to figure out how that had happened. Just glad it was the underside and not the top.
Sanded both sides with a belt sander and 36 grit belt. Took about 2 and a half hours to complete. It wasn’t as difficult as I had thought it was going to be. In fact, that two and a half hours went by super fast as I was able to get into a meditative trance. If you work sanding in an X pattern, it’s easier to see the horizontal marks disappear.
Next, I got to find some 15-minute epoxy to use on some of the voids and divots that didn’t get totally filled from the initial pour.
I’m currently surfacing the top of the table using my Shapeoko XXL, an 800w watercooled spindle and RC-2265 slab surfacing bit from Amana Tools.
This surfacing bit makes a huge difference vs say a normal router bit due to the carbide inserts.
.5mm DOC | 300ipm | 14,000 RPM
Also I’m going to need a bigger CNC machine and shop area.
It’s something I’ve always wanted to try making, epoxy resin river tables. This was the second table I made this week. It took 22 litres of EcoPoxy.
There’s this thing called a OneWheel. It’s not to be mistaken with a hover board. These don’t shutoff on you or cause a fire while charging. They’re also entirely designed and built here in the US. Riding one of these will be the most fun you’ll ever have!
There was only one problem. It takes up a lot of room. So I set out to design my own stand for it. Sure, Future Motion sells a stand of their own, and it’s quite awesome looking. But If I can build something, I’d rather build it than buy it.
So I’ve gone through a few different iterations of my take on the OneWheel stand. The First version is probably the most appealing in looks, but when I started to cut the pieces, it came apparent that the angles I designed and my crappy math education, it was impossible.
The second version was to layer and glue plywood sheets together. Did the math and that came out to a lot of expensive plywood. Kinda cool looking but not really. But it would have worked.
So the design sat for a few months. Ideas came and went. Hundreds of miles racked up on this OneWheel. Last week I came across furniture designed with black pipe from the hardware store. Instantly fell in love with the industrial and simplistic look.